What is Tor Browser And What is For?
How to uninstall Tor is a vital question for the user of the Tor browser—uninstalling the Tor browser is sometimes difficult due to its anonymous behavior. For getting Internet access, we depend on the browser. There are plenty of browsers that are quite available. But every browser is not fit or adored by every individual internet user. For privacy and security, the Tor browser is popular among all other browsers available on the internet right now.
Like other browsers, Tor the long-form is “The Onion Router” is an open-source free to all browsers. After installing it will give the surf the internet to fulfill the need. But the Tor browser has some distinguishing characteristics which make the difference. And the characteristic is anonymous communication. No other browser will give such kind of prevention on behalf of surveillance and traffic analysis. According to Wikipedia, in the mid-1990, the core of Onion routing developed.
Tor browser provides a free and worldwide overlay network consisting of six thousand relays. The overlay network, the user’s location, and uses are hidden from the others. Tor is used to hide internet activity, which others cannot trace.
Where is Tor Browser Installed?
When someone downloads the Tor browser on the device, it is located under the download folder. But after installing the Tor, it is installed in the device’s local drive. Suppose you installed it in windows; the location of the Tor browser will be: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But recently, it was shown to be installed on the desktop. So, at present, it will be on the desktop, and the path will be: C:\Users\desktop\Tor Browser. The option of installing Tor into different locations is also available. Therefore, you may also install it according to your desired drive location.
How Do I Uninstall Tor Browser?
Although the Tor browser gives us freedom from anonymous web surging, it may not be suitable for us. And we may not want to use it anymore. Now the question, How to uninstall Tor browser occurs. In addition, there are some drawbacks of the Tor, which may lead to some unwanted situations for its users. In consequence of this, it is necessary to uninstall the Tor browser. But when the question of uninstalling Tor occurs, it sometimes seems complicated.
Furthermore, a normal user has not enough knowledge of it; thus, it’s difficult to uninstall the Tor. Today, in this article, I will share and show the step-by-step uninstalling Tor, which will be helpful for the user to uninstall the Tor browser easily and properly. So, let’s dive into the deep detail. There are two simple ways of uninstalling Tor from the computer. One is manual uninstallation, and another one is automatic removal. We’ll describe both. You use the method that seems easy for you. So, let’s begin.
How To Uninstall Tor Browser In Windows 10?
1. The Simplest And Easiest Way Of Uninstalling Tor Browser
Due to the bizarre character of the tor browser, it is not possible to uninstall it with the ordinary process. So, you must perform an unusual approach to wipe out Tor. The easy way is to delete the Tor Browser directly from its installed folder. And at present, the specific location fixed by Tor Browser is The Desktop. Hence, if you have the Tor on the desktop, you can delete it easily and uninstall the Tor Browser. By applying the following steps, you can do it now.
- Select Desktop Shortcut Icon.
- Click On Delete.
- Now, Click On Yes To Confirm The Delete.
- Again, Select The Tor Browser Folder On the Desktop.
- Click On Delete.
- Finally, Click On Yes To Confirm The Process.
After completing the process restart the computer. And now you will find the Tor Browser Uninstalled from the computer. Apply the following steps if you don’t have the Tor on your desktop and cannot uninstall it.
1. Through Control Panel And Registry Editor.
We come to know that Tor is not conventionally installed on device. Thus, it isn’t easy to uninstall it conventionally. Consequently, we must perform different approaches to uninstall Tor from our device. In this regard, the first initiative of uninstalling Tor will be a combined use of Control Panel and Windows Registry Editor. But keep in mind that the first time it is shown in the control panel, but after the first uninstallation, it will not be available on the control panel programs list. In that situation, it will need a different procedure. We assume that the first time you want to uninstall Tor, it will be available on the control panel. There are two phases of the process. And the first one is uninstalling Tor from the control panel and the second one is removing it from the windows registry. To perform the process, follow the steps described below.
Uninstall The Tor From Control Panel.
- Go To Control Panel By Typing Control Panel On Taskbar.
- Find And Select The Tor Browser.
- Click On Uninstall.
- Click On Yes/Uninstall For Giving Permission For Uninstall.
Deleting/uninstalling From Windows Registry.
- Type Registry On Taskbar.
- Click Run As Administrator.
- Click Yes.
- Take A Backup Of The Registry.
- Click On Computer.
- Again, Go To File Menu And Click On Export.
- Now, Press Ctrl+F.
- Type Tor On The Search Box.
- Click On Find Next.
- Delete All File Associated With The Name Tor.
- [NB: Don’t Delete any file you are not known about it]
- Finally, Close The Registry Editor.
After completing all processes, restart your computer.
3. Uninstalling From The Tor.exe File Of The Tor Browser.
If You do not find Tor Browser at Control Panel, This procedure will be applicable for you. There is a shortcut way of uninstalling Tor by deleting the Tor.exe file. As we see earlier from the control panel but in this method, we will uninstall from the Tor.exe file, which is available in a specific location. But it is also required the removal of the leftover files of Tor. So, after uninstalling the desktop icon, a registry cleaner is also necessary. Follow the steps below to perform the task of uninstallation.
Identifying The Tor.exe File’s Exact Location.
Usually, the Tor.exe file is located in the following path. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But due to the unusual installation process of Tor, it may store in a different location. To identify the exact location, use the following steps.
From Desktop Icon Of Tor.
- Select The Tor Icon Of The Desktop.
- Right Click On The Icon.
- Click On Open File Location.
From Start Menu.
- Select Tor Browser At Start Menu Programs.
- Right Click On Tor Browser.
- Click On More.
- Click Open File Location.
From File Explorer.
- Open The File Explorer.
- Select And Double Click On The C:\ Drive.
- Type Tor On The Search Box At The Left.
Deleting Tor.exe File For Uninstalling Tor Browser.
- Press Ctrl+A (For Selecting All Item On This Folder).
- Right, Click On It.
- Click On Delete.
- Click Yes For Confirming Deleting Process.
4. Uninstall TOR browser using Command Prompt.
Suppose you have gathered some extra knowledge of using the command prompt and how to uninstall Tor by command prompt. Then there is a way of uninstalling Tor Browser by using the command prompt. It is like some other uninstallation process, but it’s a bit complicated. But by following the full procedure, you can uninstall Tor from your computer. Follow the steps given below to uninstall Tor by using the command prompt.
- Type Command Prompt At Taskbar.
- Click On Run As Administrator.
- Click On Yes.
- Now, Type The Following Command And Press Enter.
dir /s /a /b “tor” >> \\users\\%%name\\desktop\\TorInstalationAdress.txt
dir /s /a /b “vidalia” >> \\users\\%%name\\desktop\\TorInstalationAdress.txt
- After That Create A New Document At Desktop
- Copy And Paste The Followings On It.
del /f “\\proxy\\tor”
del /f “\\Users\\%%\\AppData\\Local\\Vidalia “
del /f “\\Users\\%%\\Downloads\\Tor Browser”
- Save The File Named As Toruninstall.bat (Save As All File Types).
- Finally Click On The File And Run As Administrator.
5. Uninstall Using Third-Party Uninstaller.
Another smooth and simple way of uninstalling Tor Browser is to use the third-party uninstaller. Download any third-party uninstall program which you trust. After downloading, install it on your device.
- Now follow the steps below to uninstall Tor Browser.
- Open/Run The Third-Party Uninstaller By Run As Administrator.
- Select Tor Browser From The List And Click On Uninstall.
- Uncheck The Check Mark On The Make A Restore Point Before Uninstall.
- Now, Click On Continue.
- After that, click the Scan Leftovers button to check for the leftover files.
- Click the Delete Leftovers button to erase all the app’s components.
- Finally, Close The Uninstaller.
How to uninstall Tor Browser from Mac?
1. Manually Uninstall.
If you are a user of Mac and want to uninstall Tor Browser from your mac Pc, then here is the solution for you. The uninstallation process in mac is a little bit different from windows. So, you must apply a different approach to uninstall Tor Browser here. So, let’s begin. Follow the steps below.
- Close Tor Browser (If it is running).
- Find Out Tor Browser In The Application Folder.
- Drag And Drop It To The Trash.
- Now, Open The Library Folder.
- Find Out All Files Related To Tor Or Torproject.
- Drag And Drop Them All To The Trash.
- Finally, Make Empty Of The Trash.
2. Uninstall Using Third-Party Uninstaller.
There are plenty of uninstallers available for mac. Find out a suitable and reliable one and download it to your mac. Install the uninstaller and follow the steps below for uninstalling Tor Browser from your mac.
- Open The Uninstaller.
- Scan Mac For Available Apps.
- Select Tor Browser From The List.
- Click On Clean/Uninstall.
- After completing the process, look for remaining items/leftovers and remove them.
The earlier discussion is all about how to uninstall Tor for today. I hope you got the solution for the critical uninstallation of the tor browser. I share the simple way by which every individual can uninstall Tor easily and quickly. However, it required extra effort rather than some other apps uninstallation processes. But finally, you can do it by implementing the described method in today’s article.
Last but not the least, if you have any questions, queries, or suggestions regarding today’s topic How to uninstall Tor, inform us by commenting below. If you found this content helpful, feel free to share it with your nearest and dearest one.
Frequently Asked Questions