If you seek to speed up the computer on Windows 10 or 11, then practical and result-oriented ways are here. Nowadays, speed is a vital factor for various purposes, and it is also a matter for computer devices. After purchase, we gain a very decent speed of our Pc, but after some period, it goes down, and we can make it faster by doing a few things to the system. So, let’s dive into the detail.
How To Speed Up Computer with Windows 10 & 11?
Speed consists of different aspects of a system, especially for computers; it can open and run various command and internal (OS) and exertional (various apps and programs) programs. A personal computer with a lower speed hampers the machine’s efficiency, execution, and accuracy. Thus, follow the methods below and implement them if you want to speed up your windows 10 or 11 Pc. Ultimately, you will find your Pc faster than in the previous stage (before applying the strategies). Hence, let’s begin.
Primary Things To Do.
There are some primary tasks which will be very helpful to speed up any computer within a short period and quickly. And to do the same, follow the instructions below and implement the methods.
1. Optimize Registry Editor By Cleaning It.
We frequently install a variety of applications and programs. We removed it again after some time. However, the app and program entries remain in the registry. The registry becomes clogged with invalid entries and trash keys, subkeys, and values. Invalid entries have a negative influence on our system. Assume that verifying all entries will take longer during bootup, but we won’t utilize it just now.
As a result, the gadget gradually becomes slower. As a result, cleaning the registry is critical for removing invalid and unwanted entries. Regularly cleaning the registry is the best way to keep your PC in good condition. You may learn how to perform the registry cleaning by following the procedure described here: Clean Registry In Windows 10 & 11 Safely And Easily.
2. Disable Indexing For Search.
Finding anything on the computer faster and creating search indexing helps a lot. Due to search through every time and every file of the system windows may take many times. In this regard, the search index makes it faster if it has been indexed previously. But if you are not using the search for files or folders, you may turn off this feature of the Windows operating system on your device. And yes, by doing this, you can make your system faster. Besides, you have numerous alternatives to making a search query. Such as, you may use third-party apps or desktop search programs. Thus, for disabling the search indexation, follow the steps below.
- Type Index in the Windows search box And Click on Open from the left panel.
- After that, click on Modify.
- Now, from the appeared window and below the change selected location tab, Uncheck all Box By clicking the middle of the box.
- Finally, Click on OK, followed by the close.
3. Uninstall Unnecessary Programs Or Apps.
Most of the time, we installed various apps or programs to the system to fulfil or meet specific issues. But after a while, we may not use the apps or programs at all. But these programs or apps take and use system resources, although we are not using them. So, uninstalling unnecessary apps or programs can instantly boost the computer’s speed. And to do the same, follow the instructions below.
- Open the control panel by typing the Control Panel on the search box and clicking on Open.
- Now, click on Programs & Features.
- After that, from the programs list, find out not using Apps Or Programs and click on it.
- Finally, click on Uninstall from the upper tab and click on Yes.
[NB: For Windows 11 Open control Panel and click on Programs. After that click on Programs and Features.]
4. Change Power Option Of The System.
Windows operating system provides various power options. Setting power options to the low will affect the computer’s overall performance. So, changing the power option to advanced or high performance will make the system faster. And to do the same, follow the steps below.
- Type the Control Panel on the windows search box and click on Open from the left.
- Now, click on Power Options.
- Finally, select Balanced Or High Performance instead of Power Saver.
- Close the window.
[NB: For Windows 11 after opening control panel click on Hardware and Sound. After that click on Power Options.]
5. Enable And Schedule Windows Maintenance.
Windows OS provide various features for an excellent user experience. And one of them is Windows maintenance. This Windows feature helps run system diagnosis, security scanning, and tasks like this. And performing the windows maintenance will ensure sound PC health with a peak performance of the device. You can schedule it or run it by yourself according to your need to get it done. But unfortunately, various reasons can turn this feature turned off, and you cannot get the benefit. So, by turning it on, you can get the advantages that will help accelerate the overall PC speed. Hence, to do the same, follow the instructions below.
- For opening the control panel, Type Control Panel on Search Bar and click on Open.
- Now, click on Security And Maintenance and click on the down arrow above the maintenance.
- After that, click on Start Maintenance Under Automatic Maintenance.
- Finally, close the window.
[NB: For Windows 11 after opening control panel click on System and Security after that click on Security and Maintenance.]
6. Optimize Startup Apps & Programs.
Various apps and programs make it default for opening after booting up the system. Although sometimes it may be helpful, this can often reduce the computer’s speed. So, filtering and disabling the apps or programs from startup will enhance the computer’s speed. For filtering and disabling the startup’s programs follow the procedure below.
- Right, click on Start Icon and click on Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Startup tab from the upper of the window.
- After that, right-click on the App or Program you want to disable and click on Disable.
- Finally, close the window.
7. Turn Off Transparency Settings From Color Option.
Transparency effects increase user experience for the start menu and taskbar and the Windows OS’s action center. But this effect consumes significant system resources that influence the system performance most of the time. Therefore, you can speed up the computer by turning off the transparency effect. And for disabling, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings by clicking on the Start Icon of the windows.
- Now, click on Personalization and scroll down and click on Color from the left.
- After that, move the Slider to the left to turn off the transparency effect.
- Finally, close the window.
8. Ensure Hard Disk Sound Health By Cleaning It.
Sometimes an SSD or HDD may fill with junked or redundant files. This type of file may slow down the speed of the system. Thus, the cleaning storage device of the computer may boost the system’s overall speed. So, follow the steps below to perform the task.
- Click on the Start Icon and again click on Settings.
- After that, click on the System.
- Now, Click on Storage from the left panel.
- Turn on the Storage Sense by toggling the slider to the right.
- Finally, click Delete Icon beside Temporary Files and click on Remove Files.
9. Disable Or Uninstall The Windows Tips app.
Microsoft provides Windows tips and tricks to the user to facilitate the feature of the OS and make it user friendly. According to users using observations, the Windows Tips app offers various advice to the user of the Windows operating system. This tip is quite helpful for the new user of the operating system. But these apps can slow down the speed of the computer. So, if you are not a new user and have adequate knowledge of using the Windows OS, you can disable these Windows Tips. And to do the same, follow the instructions below.
- Click On Start Icon and Click on Settings.
- From the appeared window, click on the System.
- Now, click on Notifications & Actions from the left panel.
- After that, scroll down and uncheck the box beside getting tips, tricks, and suggestions.
- Finally, close the window.
[NB: For Windows 11 click on System and after that click on Notifications after that scroll down to the left panel and Uncheck the box besides Get Tips And Suggestions When I Use Windows.]
10. Remove Bad Cluster By Defragging Hard Disk.
Fragmentation and bad sector occur in hard disks after randomly using them. Such bad sector and fragmentation require more time to find and identify files on the hard disk. And such additional required times slow down the overall machine performance. Eventually, the speed of the computer goes slow down. Hence, defragmentation and checking or removing bad sectors from time to time will enhance the speed of the machine. So, to perform the task and to defrag the hard disk, follow the steps below.
- Type Defragment on the search box and click on Open from the left side.
- Select The Drive that you want to defrag and click on Optimize.
- After completing the process click On Turn On the Scheduled Optimization.
- Now, Click the Turn On A Schedule checkbox and select Weekly.
- Again, click on Drives and Select The drives for defragmentation by clicking on the box.
- Finally, click on Ok, followed by the close.
[NB: For Windows 11: Type Defragment and optimize drives and click on it. After that, select desire drive and click on Optimize. After completing the process click on Change Setting under the Scheduled Optimization. Now, click on turn on Run on a schedule and set Weekly. Again, click on Choose and select the drives. Finally, click on OK followed by Close.]
11. Deactivate Visual Effects Of The Windows.
Windows OS provides various effects and animations for a better visual impact of the system. However, such visual effects create lucrative looks for the multiple components of the operating system. But if someone is using an older PC with a typical configuration, then it affects the system performance. So, by disabling or optimizing the visual effects of the Windows OS, you can boost the speed of the computer. And to do the same, follow the instructions below.
- Type Adjust Appearance in the search box of the start menu and click on Open.
- Select Adjust for best performance or Custom (in case of filtering by disabling individual option).
- Click on Apply followed by Ok.
[NB: For Windows 11: Type Adjust Appearance on the search box and click on it. After that, select Adjust for best performance. Finally, click on Apply followed by OK.]
12. Disable Windows Game Mode.
The game lovers use and enjoy the game mode feature of the Windows OS. But sometimes, the game mode requires additional resources from the system. Thus, the overall system performance may slow down. And turning off the game mode can help to improve it. So, by following the steps turn off the game mode.
- Click on the Start Icon of the taskbar and click on Settings.
- Now, click on Gaming.
- After that, click on Game Mode and Turn it off by toggling the slider to the left.
- Close the Window.
13. Destroy Virus/Bloatware/Malware.
Most of the time, unwanted harmful elements like viruses, malware, bloatware, and ransomware can infect the system and slow it. And to dissolve them, you can search and demolish them. Windows built-in antivirus feature can perform the task in this regard. Besides, plenty of third-party software is available in paid and free forms. And you may use any of them. To perform the task, follow the instructions below.
- Type Virus & Threat in the search box of the start menu and click on Open from the left.
- Now, click on Scan Options.
- Select Full Scan and click on Scan Now.
[NB: For Windows 11: Type Virus and Threat On Search Box and click On Virus and Threats Protection. Now, click on Scan Options and select Full Scan. Finally, Click On Scan Now.]
14. Turn Off and Turn On The PC.
After performing the above-said task, it is time to make a clean computer boot. And you can do it easily by turning off the computer first. And after completely turning it off, wait a couple of times and again make it turn on. Now, you can enjoy a faster PC than then last time.
Additional Things To Do.
Suppose you are not satisfied with your computer speed till now. In that case, you have some additional options in your hand to take the necessary actions. And they are as given below.
Extend RAM Capacity.
Random-access memory (RAM) plays a temporary memory role. When the user opens any apps or programs, it opens here. And after closing the apps or programs, it goes to the permanent memory (hard disk or SSD). So, if the capacity of the RAM is inadequate or limited, then it can take much time to open and run programs. Additionally, some apps require extended RAM size. And for not getting the needed RAM capacity, the programs may not be open, and if apps run, they can’t perform smoothly. Therefore, there is a positive correlation between the RAM and the speed of a system. Hence, extending the RAM capacity can significantly enhance the system’s speed and performance.
Add SSD To The System.
Previously, most computer users used hard disks for the system drive (primary) and other storage (secondary). But nowadays, a solid-state drive (SSD) takes part of the system drive for better performance than the hard disk drive (HDD). Therefore, if you are not using SSD and have some funds to get an SSD, it will be great to speed up the computer you are using right now.
Ensure Proper Internet Connectivity.
Internet connection has a positive impact on running some apps & features of the Windows OS along with some programs. Moreover, a high-speed internet connection offers numerous advantages for running, opening, and maintaining overall PC health. Do the following to ensure the proper and high-speed internet connection.
Use metered connection instead of Wi-Fi. There is a lot of superiority of the ethernet connection over the Wi-Fi for computers. Most importantly, for getting optimum bandwidth provided by the ISP provider.
Check your internet speed. You can check your internet connection’s speed by various speed testing websites. So, check it and compare it with your ISP service provider’s committed speed; if any dissimilarities are found, contact the ISP provider and take the necessary initiatives.
Reduce Time To Display List Of Operating Systems.
In Windows operating system, there is an interval a couple of times. Such things provide the user to switch the operating system (if a dual operating system is installed on the device) and the startup mode like normal or safe mode. This time is set to 30 seconds by default, but a user can reduce the time to 10 seconds. And in this way, you can save up to 20 seconds for booting up the system time. Thus, follow the steps below to perform the task.
- Type the Control Panel on the search box of the start menu and click on Open from the left panel.
- Now, click on the System and go to Advanced System Settings by clicking on it from the left side.
- Again, click on Settings Under the Startup and Recovery tab.
- Finally, At the time to display a list of operating systems: Change the duration from 30 to 10 seconds.
- After that, click on OK and close the window.
[NB: For Windows 11: Go to Control Panel and click on System And Security. After that, click on System. Now, click on Advanced System Settings from the left panel. Again, click on Settings under the Startup and recovery tab. Finally, at the time to display a list of operating systems: Change the duration from 30 to 10 seconds.]
Get The Latest System Updates For Windows.
Updates in Windows OS play a vital role in functioning, maintaining, and enhancing the features facility of the Operating system. Due to various reasons, Windows can’t get updates from time to time. But such things can affect the performance of the speed and ultimately reduce the computer’s speed. So, intermittently updating the Windows will be helpful and effective in enhancing the speed of the machine. And to do the same, follow the steps below.
- Type Updates in the search box of the start menu and click on Open from the left.
- After that, Click On Check For Updates.
- After completing the process click on View Optional Updates.
- Again Click On View Optional Updates and click Download and Install.
- Restart the computer after completing both update procedures.
The high-end PC provides better speed and functionality than the older and low configured computer. But sometimes, many of us can’t afford the new and highly configured PC. Described methods in this article will boost the computer’s speed with both new and old, high, or low configured PC. Thus, you can increase your computer’s overall performance and speed by following and implementing the strategies described here. If you have any confusion, queries, or doubt, please let me know by commenting below.
Good luck and Happy Computing.