How to screenshot on windows – the question occurs when someone wants to capture or grab the screen or screen snap of their computer display. A screenshot is a digital image displayed on the device’s screen at the capture time.
In today’s life, we use screenshots for various purposes. And this purpose can be associated with solving problems and generating error reports. Along with this, for submitting proof, a screenshot is helpful. Besides, by sharing a screenshot, one can be declared his excellency in some fields like gaming. Considering all facts and benefits, it is clear that the screenshot is the most practical and vitally important thing on the internet today. And most of us use this often to serve multiple purposes.
A new user unfamiliar with the screenshot capturing technique may be unable to take a screenshot. And to solve the issue, I am discussing the methods, tips, and tricks to take screenshots in Windows 10 & 11. So, let’s make dive into the deep detail.
How to Take Screenshot?
There are different ways to take screenshots on a computer display, phone, and tab. The most operating system provides built-in screen capturing utility. And by using the system-provided screenshot option, one can get a screenshot quickly. In addition, plenty of screen capture third-party software or apps are available on the internet with various lucrative features. Then the user can also use any of them, which is available on payment and free. Thus, I will discuss built-in and third-party apps to take screenshots on windows. So, let’s begin.
How To Take A Screenshot On Windows 10?
A practical and helpful way of taking a screenshot on Windows 10 is using Windows built-in screenshot or snipping apps. However, there is an option for a one-click screenshot on Windows using keyboard shortcuts & Keys. For the sake of late users, I will discuss both of them to find a convenient way of taking screenshots. Thus, let’s first start with the Screenshot apps or tools of the Windows operating system.
Taking Screenshots By Using Windows Built-in Apps.
Use Snip & Sketch And Take Your Screenshot On Windows 10.
Windows launched and attached Snip & Sketch app to its Windows 10 operating system in 2021. Nowadays, it is the most easy-to-use and helpful screenshot-taking utility app. And most Windows OS users use it frequently. So let’s know how to take a screenshot on Windows 10 using Snip & Sketch.
Open The Snip & Sketch App.
To open the Snip & Sketch app, type Snip & Sketch on the search bar and click on open from the left panel.
Alternatively, press Windows Key + Shift + S from the keyboard, and the Snip & Sketch app will be open.
Besides that, you can open it by clicking on the Start icon of the taskbar and clicking on Snip & Sketch apps from the apps list.
Taking Screenshot By Using The Snip & Sketch.
After Opening the Snip & Sketch, select your desired form of taking a screenshot. There is a rectangular snip, freeform snip, window snip, and Fullscreen snip option.
Suppose you pick the rectangular snip option from the menu of Snip & Sketch. Then you can take a screenshot of any available device’s display screen area. And To do this, you have to click on the rectangular sniping icon of the Snip & Sketch app, and by holding the mouse pointer, select the desired area of you. After that, please save it to your desired location.
On the other hand, if you want to take a freeform snip, then select or pick up the rectangular icon of the Snip & Sketch app. After that, select your desired screen area by pressing and holding the mouse button. And finally, save it to the desired location.
Also, if you want to take a screenshot of any active windows on the screen, then the Windows Snip will do the same. And for performing this task, pick or click on the Windows Snip icon of the Snip & Sketch app. After that, click on your desired active window and save it to your desired location.
Besides that, if you intend to take a fullscreen screenshot, you have the option to do it. And for the shake of taking a full-screen screenshot, pick or select the fullscreen Snip from the menu bar of the Snip & Sketch app. Then, after taking the full-screen screenshot, save it to the convenient location of your device. And by this way, you can solve the question of how to take a full-page screenshot on windows 10.
Use Snipping Tool For Taking Screenshot On Windows 10.
Before launching Windows 10, Snipping Tool introduces with Windows Vista and later versions of the Windows operating system. So, taking screenshots of full screen, rectangular, or even free form of the display device is helpful. Although newly providing Snip & Sketch with the latest version of the Windows OS, the Snipping tool is still available in its complete form. So, if you want to take screenshots with the Snipping app, follow the instructions below.
Open The Snipping Tool.
- To open the snipping tool, type Snipping Tool On Search box of the taskbar and click on Open from the left panel.
Taking Screenshot By Snipping Tool.
- After opening the snipping tool, select the mode of taking a screenshot from the button beside new of the menu bar of the snipping app.
- After that, click on New and select your freeform snip, rectangular snip, or window snip. Then, select the area by pressing and holding the mouse button to get a rectangular snip, and release the mouse button after selecting. And it will take a screenshot of the specified rectangular area.
- Similarly, select the desired area by pressing and holding the mouse button if you want to get a freeform snip. After finishing the selection, release the mouse button. It will take your selected area’s screenshot.
- Besides, if you intend to take a screenshot of an active window, click on the desired active window. And you will see the screenshot of the selected window in the snipping tool app.
Saving Screenshot On Snipping Tool.
There is no autosave option with the Snipping Tool. Thus, after taking the screenshot, you have to save it. Various file type options are available to save it and use for different future requirements.
To do the same after taking the screenshot:
- Click on the Save icon from the upper bar of the snipping tool.
- Select your expected file type like PNG, GIF, JPEG, or HTML.
- Again, choose your desired location to save the file.
- Click on Save.
Take Screenshot Without Snipping Tool.
Suppose you are thinking about how to take screenshots without a snipping tool. In that case, this article section will help you take a screenshot of your Windows device. However, there are several ways to take a screenshot using the keyboard and key combination. Hence, to do the same, follow the instructions below.
Taking Screenshot By Using Screen Print Key On Windows OS.
Every keyboard has a key which is known as print screen/Prtsc. And by using this keyboard key, anyone can take a full-screen screenshot anytime. But after taking the screenshot, it needs to be saved with the help of another image processing app or program. So follow the steps below to take a screenshot using the print screen or Prtsc Key.
- Press or PrintScreen key on the keyboard.
- After that, open the desired image processing program and press Ctrl + V on Keyboard.
- After that, save the file to any desired location.
NB: There is an option available on Windows OS to select the Snipping tool app as a default program. It helps take and save screenshots using the Print screen or Prtsc Key of the keyboard. And to perform the procedure, follow the steps below.
- Click On the Start Icon of the taskbar and click on Settings.
- Now, click on Ease of Access.
- After that, click on the keyboard.
- Finally, Toggle the slider to the right under the Print Screen Shortcut.
Take Screenshot And Automatically Save It Without Snipping Tool.
The Windows key of the keyboard provides us with various functions. And you can take a screenshot of the entire screen and automatically save it to the Screenshot folder under the C drive picture folder. And by this way, you can take a one-click screenshot in Windows 10. So, follow the steps below to perform the task.
- Fist Press WinKey+ Prtsc Key on the keyboard.
- Open The Screenshot Folder And Use your taken screenshot.
There Are Some Other Windows Screenshot Shortcuts.
There are some other shortcuts for taking a screenshot of the device. They are common to use and effective in serving the screenshot-taking purpose. They are as described below.
Use Alt + PrtSc Key to take a screenshot.
Sometimes a user may use multiple Windows in a single display unit. But if you want to take any active window among them, then the Alt+PrtSc Key will be helpful. Thus, taking the screenshot by using Alt+PrtSc, follow the steps below.
- First, select the Active Window for taking a screenshot by clicking on it.
- After that, press Alt + PrtSc on Keyboard.
- Now, Open your Desire Image processing App or program.
- Finally, press Ctrl + V and Save It for future use.
Take Screenshot By Using Game Bar.
Another option available on Windows OS to take screenshots is using the game bar. And this feature is very fond of game lovers. And it is for the reason of taking screenshots during the gameplay. Besides, the game bar feature is also effective for taking screenshots while playing the game. Hence, follow the steps below to take screenshots using a game bar.
Open The Game Gear.
- First, enable the game bar by going to Settings of Windows OS. After that, click on gaming. Finally, toggle the slider to the right to enable the Game bar.
- After completing the enabling game bar, press Windows Key + G on the keyboard, and your game bar will be open to taking the screenshot.
Taking Screenshot Using Game Bar.
- Finally, Click on Capture Button from the appeared menu bar of the game bar. And again, click on capture from the dialogue box.
- Now Open the screenshot under the C drive picture folder, and you will find your captured screenshot here.
Taking Screenshots By Using Third-Party Apps.
Some frequent screenshot taker uses various third-party programs to take screenshots in Windows OS. And such third-party apps or programs flourish with multiple lucrative features. Moreover, the user-friendliness and effectiveness of such apps make them famous. So, if you want to take screenshots and edit or customize them and want to share by making them fancy, such screenshot apps will help fulfill your desire.
There is plenty of third-party screen recorder apps available on the internet. And they have both fee and payment basis using facilities. Some provide a free trial to make you fit with the app and know the program’s features. For your information, some available third-party screenshot apps or programs are as below.
How To Take Screenshots With Third-Party Apps?
As I mentioned earlier, plenty of screenshot apps are available. For demo purposes, I am using Faststone Capture apps. However, the procedure is almost identical to other apps also. So, follow the steps below to take a screenshot with the Faststone Capture screenshot app.
- Firstly, Install and Open Faststone Capture on your device.
- After that, click on desire screenshot mode from the menu (There are 08 (eight) different options).
- Click on any one of the below:
- Capture Active Window.
- Capture Window/Object.
- Capture Rectangular Region.
- Capture Freehand Region.
- Capture Full Screen.
- Capture Scrolling Window.
- Capture Fixed-Size Region.
- Delay Before Capture.
- Finally, Save the screenshot after taking it.
How To Take Screenshots With MS Word & PowerPoint?
Suppose you are frequently Using MS Word Or MS PowerPoint. In that case, you can take screenshots using these two famous Windows applications. Follow the steps below to take a screenshot with MS Word & MS PowerPoint.
- Open Your Word or PowerPoint Application.
- Now, click On Insert from the Sub Menu Bar of the application.
- After that, click On Screenshot, And again click on Screen Clipping.
- Again, drag The Screen Area Or Opened Window.
- Finally, Click On Screenshot Button And Select The Taken Screenshot.
How To Take Screenshot On Windows 11?
The way and method are almost identical in Windows 11, like Windows 10. You can take a screenshot and record the screen in Windows 10 by following the procedures below.
Use Snipping Tool For Taking Screenshot On Windows 11.
The most prominent updated screenshot-taking app in Windows 11 is the snipping tool. And now, it is one of the best ways to take screenshots in Windows 11. Hence to take a screenshot with the Snipping tool in Windows 11, follow the steps below.
Open Snipping Tool In Windows 11.
- Type Snipping Tool on the Search box and click On Open Icon.
- Alternatively, Press Key + Shift + S on Keyboard. Now you can see a small Snipping Toolbar at the top center of the screen.
Click On Search Icon Type Snipping Toll And Click On Snipping Tool App
Taking The Screenshot With Snipping Tool In Windows 11.
- After launching the snipping tool, click the button next to “New” on the snipping tool’s menu bar to pick the screenshot mode.
- Then choose your freeform snip, rectangle snip, or window snip by clicking on New.
- Next, select the region by pressing and holding the mouse button while doing so, then let go of the button to receive a rectangle snip. And snipping tool will take a screenshot of the chosen rectangular region.
- Similarly, if you want a freeform snip, click, and hold the mouse button while selecting the region you wish; after completing the selection, release the mouse button. It will capture a snapshot of the area you have chosen.
- If you want to snap a screenshot of a window, click on the desired active window. And the screenshot of the wanted window at the snipping tool will appear.
Saving The Taken Screenshot By Snipping Tool.
The Snipping Tool doesn’t have an autosave option. Therefore, you must save the snapshot after capturing it. You may keep it as various file types and utilize them for different upcoming needs.
- Click the Save icon in the upper bar of the snipping tool to perform the same action after capturing the screenshot.
- Next, choose the intended file format, such as PNG, GIF, JPEG, or HTML.
- Once more, select the location where you want to save the file.
- Finally, choose Save.
Take Screenshot Without Snipping Tool In Windows 11.
Take Screenshot And Save It.
For taking a screenshot in windows 11 without the Snipping tool:
- Press PrintScreen Key On The Keyboard.
- Open your chosen image processing app or program and press Ctrl + V on the keyboard.
- Click on Save.
Take Screenshot And Autosave It.
To take and autosave the screenshot In Windows 11:
- Press Windows Key (Win) + PrtSc on the keyboard.
- After taking a screenshot, open the folder Picture And sub folder Screenshot on The C drive. You will find your screenshot here. And by this way, you can take a one-click screenshot of windows 11.
Use Game Bar For Taking Screenshot On Windows 11.
Like Windows 10, you can take screenshots and record screens by game bar on windows 11. And to do the same, follow the steps below.
Open The Game Gear.
- Click on Settings of Windows 11 OS.
- After that, click on gaming.
- Finally, toggle the slider to the right to enable the Game bar.
- After allowing the game bar, press Windows Key + G on the keyboard, and your game bar will be open to taking the screenshot.
Taking Screenshot Using Game Bar.
- To take a screenshot after calling the game bar, click on the Capture Button from the appeared menu bar of the game bar.
- And again, click on capture from the dialogue box.
- Finally, Open the screenshot under the C drive’s picture folder, and you will find your captured screenshot here.
How to Take a Screenshot on Microsoft Surface Devices
If you want to take a screenshot on a Microsoft Surface device, just press Windows Logo + Volume Down. Now open the Picture folder and go to the Screenshot sub folder. Here you will find your taken screenshots.
How to take a screenshot on windows is not a difficult task nowadays. After reading this article, anyone can take a partial screenshot on Windows 10 & 11. Besides, the screenshot is an essential part of our techy life, and you can wipe out your screenshot-related issue with the help of this content. Furthermore, if you have any queries, questions, or confusion, let me know by commenting below. It will be a great pleasure to assist you in the screenshot matter.
That’s all for today. Good Luck!