You show a message popup saying that “You need permission to perform this action windows 10″. In this situation, you may be prohibited from using various files, folders, and even apps. Your daily work is hampered most of the time due to such kind of error of your personal computer. To prevent your valuable information, files, and data to go in the wrong hand, it is a security measure from the Microsoft Corporation. When you want to delete any file or folder and or want to delete, A pop-up window opens and says that “you need permission to perform this action”. It is due to Microsoft corporation need to check your authoritativeness. But if it occurs randomly and repeatedly, then it’s a hazardous condition for every individual. To overcome the situation, I am here. And you will fix this right now by the following methods I am providing here.
First and foremost, if we want to provide any solution, it is essential to know the reason behind the problem. In this aspect, we want to discover the possible cause of the “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” issue.
“You Need Permission To Perform This Action” error’s possible causes.
It’s hard to say any specific cause is responsible for the asking problem. Naturally, the pop-up does not appear random and repeatedly. But sometimes it seems very frequently. Specifically, when you want to install a program, delete a file or folder or even rename a file or folder. So there is a lot of correlated factors associated with the problem. Hitches Considering the risk factor, such kind of problem is not harmful. And you can fix it quickly. So let’s get down to the business point. What are the causes of the error “you need permission to perform this action windows 10”?
Below All possible causes are given.
It’s hard to say any specific cause is responsible for the asking problem. Naturally, the pop-up does not appear random and repeatedly. But sometimes it seems very frequently. Specifically, when you want to install a program, delete a file or folder, or even rename a file or folder. Considering the risk factor, such kind of problem is not harmful. And you can fix it quickly. So let’s get down to the business point. What are the causes of the error “you need permission to perform this action windows 10”? Below All possible causes are given.
Not having proper security permission:
This kind of permission is taken to provide access to others to perform tasks. It is applicable for data, applications, devices such as scanner printers etc. At this moment, there are six types of security permission in windows. And they are Full control. Modify. List folder contents. Write permission. And the read permission. To know more, read from Microsoft Permissions.
Affected by Malware:
In many cases, the error occurs by malware. For example, sometimes third-party non-trusted apps contain malware that causes malfunction of the system file. Thus, windows randomly show the “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” message pop-up.
Try to get access to another’s admins file or folder
When a pc used by multiple administrative accounts and you want to get access to another’s admins file or folder, then it seems to happen to pop up the message.
Locked file and folder:
Nowadays, many lockers are available for file and folder lock. If you show the error while opening a folder, then it may be locked.
Corrupted system registry:
Sometimes windows registry may corrupt for various reasons, and the problem may happen.
How to fix “You Need Permission To Perform This Action In Windows 10:
After knowing the possible causes of the problem, let’s begin to fix it. Here I am showing the steps by using windows 10, but it is applicable to other versions also.
Check The Security Permission Of Your Computer:
First of all, you have to check for the permission given to your system to access and perform all the tasks you want. Suppose the permission is not given to you. You may get it quickly. Follow the steps below to do the same:
- Go to the properties of the problematic file, folder or app by right click on it.
- Find out and go to the Security tab at the upper menu of the window.
- After that, select the administrative account from the Group Name And User Section.
- To change permission, click on Edit Button.
- Click On Full Control in the allow section.
- Now click on apply, and ok.
Now check for the problem fix or not. If it is still happening, then follow the next step.
Get Access To The Administrators Group For Fixing “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” Error:
If you are not added to the administrator group, add your account to this group. According to Microsoft – The Administrators group has built-in capabilities that give its members complete control over the system. However, this group cannot be renamed, deleted, or moved. Follow the steps below to add yourself to the administrator group and fix the issue.
- Right, Click On the Windows Icon Of the Taskbar.
- Go To Computer Management.
- After That Go To Local Users and Groups.
- From Middle Section Of The Window-Double Click On Users.
- Double Click On Your Account Name.
- Click Member Of (At Upper Middle)
- Now Click On Add
- At The Enter The Object Name Section Type “Administrators.”
- Again, Click On Check Name.
- After Getting The Correct Name, Click On Ok.
There is an alternative way to do the same thing. You can do it differently by following the steps below:
- Press Window + R key On Keyboard.
- Type “netplwiz” At Run Dialogue Box By Clicking Ok.
- Select The Account You Want To Change.
- Click On Properties At Bottom.
- Select Group Membership Tab (Upper Left)
- Select Level Of Access As “Administrator”
- Click On Apply Then Ok.
I hope you will change your user account access permission by applying the above-said methods. However, if your problem remains to exist, then you have to follow the next step below.
Change the owner of the offending item To Fix “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” Issue:
You have the option to change the ownership of the item which is disturbing you by seeking permission. For example, the ownership of a file or folder gives you the right to access it. In addition, it allows you to provide a license who can access the folder. To change the ownership, follow the steps below:
- Go To Properties By Right Click On the Object.
- Select Properties And Go To Security Tab.
- After That Click On Advance Button.
- Click On Add Button.
- On Left Corner Click On Select Principal
- Type Your Account Name
- And Click On Check Name
- Tick Mark On Full Control On Basic Permission.
- Now Click On Apply And Ok.
There is an alternative way of changing the ownership of problematic items on your computer. Yes, you can use the command prompt to do it. I hope if you are fond of command prompt, then follow the steps below:
- Type Command Prompt On Taskbar.
- Click Run As Administrator.
- Now Type The Command As it is “path_to_folder”
- Notion /f “path_to_folder” /r /d y
- icacls “path_to_folder” /grant administrators:F /T
Check Your System Registry And Fixing It:
System registry has a prominent role in computer management. It is also applicable for the error of the “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” problem. System registry contains a file in a database form with all configurations and settings of the computer and its operating system. For example, windows use user account information along with all installed programs and file types. This registry file may sometimes corrupt due to various reasons, and you face different kinds of problems. And the “you need permission to perform this action windows 10” is one of them.
The simplest and easiest way to check your system registry file is corrupt or damaged is to run a registry cleaner. There is plenty of free and paid software available on the internet. I am using here Outbyte PC Repair tool. It has different potential features and functions that for identifying and fixing Pc issues. It can help to resolve system issues and clean them up (if any). Besides, it can locate temporary files and remove them from your hard drive. So, let’s begin.
- First of all, download Outbyte Pc Repair Tool and install it on your computer.
- Launch/Open The tool.
- Click On Scan.
- After completing the scan, click on the fix (If Any Found).
- Close Your Tool After Finishing The Process.
Run SFC Scan:
According to Microsoft, the SFC /scannow command will scan all protected system files and replace corrupted files with a cached copy located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. It is a windows system file checker. And it checks and repairs if windows have any corrupt files. To perform the task, follow the below command.
- Type CMD On Your Search Bar.
- Right, Click On Command Prompt.
- Click On Run As Administrator.
- Not Type On Command Prompt “SFC /scannow” And Press Enter
- After Completing The Task, Close The Command Prompt.
Remove the program and reinstall it:
If you face an error with any app, it is high time to remove and reinstall it. Sometimes the app may become malfunction due to bugs. It may have a junk file. Or it may be running in the background. An error may occur at this time. The good news is you can fix it by removing the app and again reinstalling it. To do the same, follow the steps below:
- Type Apps And Features
- Open It By Clicking On it.
- Search and Select The App (Which One you want to remove).
- Click On Uninstall.
- Confirm The Action (If Any Required).
- Close The Window.
- Restart Your Computer And Again Install It From Its Genuine Source.
Using Unlocker App:
If you are trying to delete any file and or folder and unable to do so. Then there is a solution to it. There is plenty of Unlocker software available. It is (Unlocker) a small, lightweight app that will help you to take control over a file or folder. Ultimately, it will help you delete a file or folder that shows the message “Cannot delete file” access is denied”. To perform the task, follows the steps below:
- Download unlocker software.
- Install It To Your Computer
- Right Click On Your Desire File or Folder.
- Click On Unlocker Program (Name Of Unlocker Will be Show).
- After That Click To Unlock (If It Is Locked).
- Close The Unlocker.
Reboot The Pc In Safe Mode:
Sometimes the safe mode of windows helps us to get rid of some errors. These models are designed and developed to help the user of Windows find problems on programs, apps, and widgets. Going to safe mode allow users of windows to fix errors. Along with this, run command modules such as chkdsk, chkdsk F and chkdsk R. Furthermore, in this mode, third party software’s are prohibited from running and opening. Safe mode does not erase or delete any personal data. Moreover, it clears all temp tiles, unnecessary data and recent apps. So running your computer in safe mode will help you to fix your errors. Just follow the steps below to run your machine in a secure mode:
- Click On Windows Icon Left On Taskbar.
- Hold Down Shift Key And Click On Restart.
- Click On Troubleshoot From Given Options.
- Again, Select Advanced Options.
- Now Click On Startup Settings
- After All Of the Above, Click On Restart.
- When Your Pc Reboot Press The 4 Numerical Key And Or F4 Function Key To Enable Safe Mode.
- Now have a look at your existing problem solve or not. If solved again, restart your machine in normal mode. If not solved yet, try the alternative method for fixing it.
Turn Off Your Available Antivirus:
Most of the Time, antivirus software may hamper normal activities. For example, when antivirus found something wrong with your computer, they prohibited normal activities of such things. Thus, if the antivirus incurs your problem, the turn of the app will help fix your error.
Below are the steps of turning off antivirus at your computer:
- First Of All, Stop The Antivirus From Running At The Background.
- Press ALT+CTRL+DEL (It Will Open Task Manager Opening Option).
- After Opening The Window, Click On Task Manager.
- You Can Also Do It By Right Click On Windows Icon On Taskbar.
- Click On Task Manager.
- Now From The Task Manager, Find And Select Your Antivirus Program.
- Click On It And Click On End Task.
- Again Go To Startup (On Upper Center).
- Select Your Antivirus.
- Right Click On It And Click On Disable.
- After Completing Close Task Manger And Exit.
Now have a look at your problem. If it is resolved, then good otherwise, follow different methods given here.
Scan Your Computer For Checking Availability of Malware:
Malicious software, also known as malware, is a file or code that tries to steal information from the computer. These kinds of files or codes are delivered over a network. And your computer may be infected by getting it through email, texts evenly by Bluetooth. There are many variants of this, such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware and spam ware etc. There are multiple ways to get rid of the malware. You can reboot your pc to safe mode, uninstall suspicious apps, stop pop-up ads, clear downloads, and install an anti-malware tool. Here I am showing to check and fix it by windows defender, a built-in Windows program.
Follow the steps below to run windows defender and check for malware:
- Right, Click On Start And Click On Setting.
- Select Update & Security.
- Now Click On Virus And Threat Protection.
- After That, Click On Scan Option And Select Full Scan.
- Click On Scan Now.
- Close The Windows Defender Window After Finishing The Task.
If you apply all the above methods, describe them here and can’t fix your problem. Then only one option is available in your hand right now. And let’s begin with the following last chance.
Clean Up Your Installation Of Operating System.
In a clean install of an OS, the hard disk is formatted and completely erased. In a clean install of an application, the older version is uninstalled first. Installing an OS on a new computer or installing an application for the first time is automatically a clean install. In this installation process, your hard disk will be formatted and erased. After that, the clean install will be uninstalled in the older version of your operating system.
[Caution: Due to this reason, a clean install will wipe out all data on the primary part of your hard drive or SSD. So, it is mandatory to take a backup of your data, which is essential for future use. You can easily use an external memory drive, cloud storage, transfer data from desktop to laptop and use special software.]
Just follow the steps below to confirm a clean install on to your personal computer:
- Right, Click On Start.
- Select Setting.
- Go To Upgrade And Security.
- After That, Click On Recovery.
- Now Click On Get Started.
- After That, Click On Remove Everything.
I hope you have found the process of Fixing the error “you need permission to perform this action windows 10”. I determinedly believe that the above-said solutions will get rid of the problem at any cost. And in future, such errors will never disturb you. Furthermore, let us know if you have any queries or questions regarding any pc error.
That’s all for today. Have a good day and good luck!
Recommended Reading: Optimizing SSD in Windows 10 – In Less Than 13 Minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions: