Avast antivirus provides an update for strengthening the app for preventing the computer from various harmful elements of the cyber world. For this reason, they provide the update at least two times in a weak. But many Avast users faced some issue with a problem: Avast virus definition update failed. So, today we will realize the issue and fix the problem. So, let’s dive into the deep of the detail.
What Is Avast Virus Definition Update?
Third-party antivirus software downloads various files for identifying viruses regularly. Such file is virus definition. When a security-providing software fails to download this virus definition files, such issue is virus definition update failure. Scanning the hard drive and detecting current threats, Avast frequently downloads virus definition files. Such an attempt to download a virus definition may fail for multiple reasons. In such cases, it comes with an Avast virus definition update error.
Why Avast Virus Definition Update failed?
There are no specific causes of the Avast virus definition update failure. Such a failure may happen for software architectural issues most of the time. In addition to this, bugs, viruses, or ransomware may affect Avast itself. And such concern may cause the virus definition update failure.
How To Fix Avast Virus Definition Update Failed?
The problem of virus definition update failure occurs in desktop and android when the devices try to update the virus definition segment. If the devices cannot get the update, it can make Avast weak and fail to ensure protection. So, we must fix the issue. And there are many things we can perform to dissolve the Avast virus definition update failure. Follow the methods as below.
1. Fix Avast Virus Definition Update Failed On Computer.
Manually Update Avast To Its Latest Version.
Although Avast always gets and keep update automatically, in some situation, a manual update may require. In this respect, you should manually update Avast, which will dissolve the Avast virus definition failed issue. To do the same, follow the steps below.
- Open Your Avast Antivirus.
- Now, Go To Menu By Click On It.
- After That, Click On Settings.
- From The Appeared Pop-Up Window Click On Update.
- Finally, Click On Check For Update (Below Virus Definitions).
- Again, Click On Check For Update (Below Your Application).
- Select And Enable Automatic Update (It Is Not Enabled).
- Click On Restart.
Repair Avast For Software Architecture Defect.
Although Avast is a security-providing software, various issues can affect it. Hence, for dissolving any issue with Avast software, you can perform a repair task available on Avast. To detect and repair Avast software defects, perform the following task.
From Avast Software.
- Open Your Avast Antivirus Software.
- Now, Click On Troubleshooting Tab.
- Finally, Click On Repair App.
- Wait For Completing The Process.
- After Completing The Repair Process, Restart The Computer.
From Windows Repair Utility.
- Right, Click On Windows Icon At The Taskbar.
- Now, Click On Settings.
- Click On Apps.
- After That, Click On Apps & Features.
- Find Out Avast And Click On It.
- Again, Click On Modify.
- Finally, Click On Repair.
- After Completing The Repairing Process, Restart The Computer.
Reinstall Avast By Uninstalling It.
After implementing all the above-said methods, you are not solving the Avast virus definition failed issue. Then it is high time for reinstalling your Avast. To do the same, follow the steps accordingly.
Uninstall The Avast App.
Like another app or program uninstallation, you can’t uninstall the Avast. Hence, to uninstall Avast requires some additional steps and processes. And for you, here is the complete and healthful process of Uninstall Avast Antivirus.
Install The Avast App.
After uninstalling Avast completely, now it is time to install the Avast. For installing the latest and new Avast app, follow the step below.
- Go To Official Website Of The Avast.
- Click On Download Free Protection.
- Go To Download Folder.
- Double Click On The Download File.
- Follow The Screen Appeared Instructions.
Communicate With Avast Support Team.
After trying all the possible things, you can do to solve the Avast virus definition update failed issue if you can’t see any fruitful result. Then you have the last option: to contract with Avast support and get help from the Avast support team.
2. Fix Avast Virus Definition Update Failed On Android.
Most of us use the android device, and for ensuring security and protection, we often use antivirus apps. An overwhelming majority use Avast due to a prominent antivirus in the industry. But sometimes, there is a problem of Avast mobile security virus definition update failing. If you are suffering from such a problem, follow the fixation methods below to dissolve the Avast mobile security virus definition update failed issue.
Clear Cache Of The Store.
Most of us use the google play store for installing and adding apps to our android devices. Due to various reasons, the store’s cache may be junked and corrupted or even have issues. So, to dissolve the Avast virus definition failed issue on android, clearing the play store cache has a significant impact and result-oriented approach. For clearing the cache of the store, follow the steps below.
- Go To Settings App.
- Select Apps Or Apps & Notification.
- Tap On the Three Dot Icon At The Upper Site And Go To More Settings.
- Tap On Show System Apps
- Go To Storage Manager And Tap On Storage & Cache.
- Tap On Clear Storage And Clear Cache.
- Restart The Phone.
Scan And Clean Junk.
Due to junk files and data, Avast may not be function properly. As a result, the Avast android virus definition update failed occurs. So, clearing the junk will be compelling enough to eliminate the Avast virus definition update failed problem. So, by following the steps below, perform the task.
- Tap On Settings And Go To Apps.
- Select And Open Avast.
- Go To Menu Option.
- Select Clear Junk.
- Tap On Allow Access (If Require).
- Now, Tap On Clean Now.
- Again, Tap On Clear.
Check And Repair System Cache For Corruption Or Damage.
Although all Android phones do not have the system cache partition, if your phone comes with this feature, you can check and repair the phone system cache for being corrupted. It will be fixing the Avast android virus definition update failed problem. Therefore, follow the steps below to check and repair the system cache of your android device.
By following the instruction below, restart your android device in recovery mode.
- First, Power Of The Device.
- Second, Press And Hold Power With Volume Down.
(If it is not working with your device, there is a chance for a different key combination. To ensure this, check your device’s user manual and act accordingly).
- Thirdly, Provide Password (if your phone is protected).
- Fourthly, Find Out The Option Wipe Cache.
(You can do it by tapping the option. Different models and manufacturers use volume up and down And Power Key Act As entering Button).
- Fifthly, Confirm The Wipe Cache Command.
- Sixthly, Wait For The Complete Of The Process And After Completion, Reboot The Device.
Reset The Phone.
Resetting phone always helps to mitigate and erase various android devices issue. And for today’s Avast mobile virus definitions update failed to issue, it can also be helpful. So, if you cannot fix the issue, you have the option of resetting your phone. For resetting your phone to its factory settings, do the following.
- Go To Settings.
- Tap On System.
- Now, Tap On the Reset Option.
- Select Erase All Data (Factory Reset) By Taping On It.
- Again, Tap On Erase All Data.
N.B: The above said steps for android version 12 or higher. If your android version differs from this, you can go to the manufacturer’s website and see your device’s particular options of reset.
Reinstall Avast Antivirus.
Sometimes, Avast has its fault, and the user does not dissolve the Avast mobile virus definitions update failed issue on their android device. So, reinstalling the app will be much more result-oriented to fix the issue. But for reinstalling the Avast antivirus, you must uninstall it first. So, by following the below instructions, you can do the whole thing.
- Open your Google Play Store.
- Now, Tap The Profile Icon At The Top Right Corner.
- After That, Tap On Manage Apps & Devices.
- Again, Tap On Mange.
- Select The Avast By Tapping On It.
- Finally, Tap On Uninstall.
- Again, Tap On Uninstall (For Confirming The Process).
- Go To Google Play Store.
- Find Out Avast Antivirus.
- Tap On Install.
Recommended Reading: Fix Avast Antivirus Won’t Open On Windows 10/11
The Avast virus definition update failed problem may arise in computer or Android device. To mitigate both, I have described the methods in this article. I firmly believe that it will be helpful to get rid of the Avast virus definition update failed issue without any hazard and quickly. So, now it is your time to apply the methods and fix the Avast virus definition update failed issue.