File explorer dark mode theme option deployed to Windows operating system for providing better user experience. Particularly for reading, concentration, and working well during daylight times. The dark mode applies to Taskbar, Start Menu, Action Center, and file explorer. The dark way changes the light colour of the Windows title bar and border of the suitable places which the Windows OS determines. As an operating system, Windows first included dark mode in its Windows 10 Anniversary Update in 2016. And another operating system Mac has to its macOS 10.14 version in 2018. Nowadays, Firefox and Chrome provide a dark theme for all internal screens. And today, I am going to share some useful ways for enabling file explorer dark theme in Windows 10 & 11. In addition, the effective seven fixations I will describe will help fix the file explorer dark theme on your device if it stops working. So, let’s dive into the deep detail.
Why Enable File Explorer Dark Theme In Windows?
There are a lot of advantages to the dark theme. For this, most computer users are fond of the dark theme. It has some vital positive impact, such as: on the display device with OLED or AMOLED screens, this reduces energy usage. In addition, the screen glare is decreased when the majority of the screen is black, which reduces flickering and blue light. Moreover, Dark Mode provides light text on a dark background which is better for reducing eye strain. Thus, it lowers eye strain and improves visual ergonomics. Hence, in this article, I will describe how to enable this file explorer dark theme and how to fix it if it goes out of order. So, let’s start.
How To Enable File Explorer Dark Theme In Windows 10?
Recently, all the latest versions of Windows come with the dark mode feature. And any user can enable or disable it according to their desire, for those who like the low-light conditions and want to save the battery power (for OLED or AMOLED screens). Moreover, a dark mode can be set for various Windows UWP apps, especially for working at night. And for this, I am showing how to enable the file explorer dark theme in Windows 10. So, let’s begin.
- To do the same, firstly go to the windows settings by clicking on the Start Menu and after that, click on Settings; alternatively, press Winkey +I from the keyboard to open settings.
- After that, open the personalization settings by clicking on Personalization. Then, select the Colours option from the left panel of the opened window.
- Now scroll down and find out Choose Your Color and click on the left arrow of the box. Here you will find Light, Dark, and Custom. Finally, Select the Dark and close the window, and you are in file explorer dark theme.
How To Enable File Explorer Dark Theme In Windows 11?
Like Windows 10, turning on the file explorer dark theme feature is also available for Windows 11. And anyone can enable and enjoy the file explorer dark theme for Windows 11. So, let’s look for a way of allowing file explorer dark theme in Windows 11.
- Firstly, click on the Start Icon of the taskbar and again, click on Settings. It will open the Windows settings menu. Alternatively, you can press Winkey+I from the keyboard for the same purpose.
- Secondly, go to Personalization by clicking on it; after that, click on Colors from the down of the screen.
- Finally, find out Choose Your Mode and click on the left arrow of the box. Here you will find three options: light, dark, and custom. Select the Dark and close the window. Now you are in file explorer dark theme.
Fix File Explorer Dark Theme In Windows When It Stops Working?
Most users experience the frustrating issue of the file explorer dark theme stopping working properly. And they were confused about what to do. But no matter what, you can fix it very easily. But it will be wise to know the reasons for the dark theme stop working problem. So, let’s know the things.
Reason Behind The Dark Theme Stop Working.
File explorer dark theme may stop working due to multiple reasons. There is no one specific reason to blame for the inconvenience. But of course, there are some possible reasons for the high chance of the issue occurring. The reasons are as below.
Outdated Or Older Version Of The Windows: Sometimes, older versions, such as the beta version of the dark mode, may happen the dark theme crashes. And for this, the file explorer dark mode may go to malfunction.
Backgrounds Apps & Tools:. Many times, background apps may interfere with the operating system. As a result, the file explorer dark mode may not work properly. Moreover, many users use Mach2 or similar tools to manage the windows features. And the tools may cause the dark theme to stop working issue.
Corruption Of The User Profile: A user profile sets the system and preference for work and display of the machine. But random changes to the settings and several varieties of the user profile, a Windows account may corrupt. And such kinds of profile corruption may lead to the dark theme stops working problem.
Display Driver Of The System: Dark theme settings are related to the display device. There is a correlation between the system’s dark mode and display units. But the display driver may fail to get updates and cause the dark theme issue.
Ways Of Fixing File Explorer Dark Theme In Windows 10 & 11.
Regardless of the reasons, we must make the file explorer dark theme work properly. Hence, this is the high time to file the explorer dark theme issue. And by implementing the following steps, you can do it easily and effectively. So, let’s start.
1. Verify That You Have The Most Recent Updates Installed.
The dark theme was firstly released with a beta version which has the possibility of containing and being affected by bugs. Besides, the window may contain bugs and glitches which can occur the issue. So, to dissolve the file explorer dark theme malfunction, check and update your Windows OS. And to do the same, follow the steps below.
- Click On the Start Icon Of The Taskbar And Click On Settings.
- Now, Click On Update & Security.
- After That, Click On Windows Update (From Left Panel).
- Finally, Click On Check For Updates (From The Right Panel).
After completing the process, check for the asking issue of the file explorer dark theme. If it works properly, leave the other methods and enjoy your computing in case of not get the desired result to apply the next fixation.
2. Change The Theme To The Default One.
Using a normal or un-default Windows theme may lead to the windows file explorer dark theme problem. In these respects, the usual theme may calibrate with bugs and hamper the functionality of the dark theme. So, to overcome the issue, use the Windows default theme. And for changing the theme to Windows default theme, follow the steps below.
- Type Theme On Search Box Of The Taskbar.
- Click On Open From The Left Panel.
- Go To Left Bottom Side And Select Theme Named With Windows.
- After applying the Windows default theme, check for the problem. If it is erased, then great otherwise, implement the next fixation process.
3. Close & Open File Explorer Again.
Most Windows users fix their file explorer dark theme problem by restarting the file explorer. And to do the same, follow the instructions below.
- Turn off the file explorer by clicking on the left top corner X symbol. After completely turning it off, open it by clicking on the file explorer symbol. Or,
- Open Task Manager by Right Clicking on Start Menu. Find out Windows File Explorer from the process tab. Now right, click on it and select End Task. After closing, successfully Open the file explorer again.
4. Exit And Re-Enter The System.
Various issues associated with the operating system may stimulate the dark theme mode not working problem. In this regard, restarting the system can fix the dark theme issue. By following the step below, you can do it. But before applying the steps, turn off the dark mode.
- Firstly, Click on Start Icon.
- Secondly, Click On Profile/Account Picture (from the left side of the panel).
- Thirdly, Click On Sign Out.
- Click On the Power Icon(left-corner side) of the appeared window.
- Now, select Restart.
- After Restarting the system, select your User Account and Provide the Password/Pin.
- Finally, Click On Sign In.
After starting the machine, go to the theme option and turn on the Dark Theme Mode. And check for the issue. If it is fixed, then leave the other solution without implementation. But in case of not dissolving the problem, apply the following strategy.
5. Get Rid Of Customization Apps
Numerous customization apps for desktop and android are plenty available. They are pretty helpful for customizing widgets and various Windows features. In addition, users can customize the start menu, layout, fonts, colours, transparency and many more. However, even though the third-party customization app is helpful, they have the ability for occurring the problem of file explorer dark theme. So, if you are using a customization app or installed on the system, uninstalling them will be helpful to get rid of the file explorer dark theme issue. To do the same, follow the steps below.
- Go to the Settings by clicking on the start menu. After that, click on apps & features. Now find out the installed customization apps and uninstall them by clicking on uninstall.
- Finally, restart the computer and check for the file explorer dark theme problem.
6. Check & Repair Corrupt Files.
There is a positive impact of the corrupted system files for occurring windows file explorer dark theme problem. Due to system file corruption, the dark theme may fail to load or even display. Thus, checking and repairing the system files for corruption will eliminate the windows file explorer dark theme issues. And to perform the task, follow the steps below.
- For opening the command prompt, Type Command Prompt On the Search Box of the Start Menu. Now Click On Run As Administrator from the left panel.
- After opening the command prompt, type the command: SFC /scannow and press Enter.
- Finally, when the process is completed, close the command prompt.
7. Create A New Account For Yourself.
Windows 10 file explorer dark theme issue happens for various reasons, one of which is the Microsoft user account. But there are no straightforward ways to repair complete or partial damage to the user account. However, you can easily dissolve the unexpected dark theme problem by creating a new user account and switching the existing account to the new one. Hence, follow the instructions below if you want to fix the windows 10 file explorer dark theme issue by creating a new user account.
- Firstly, click on the Start Icon of the taskbar and click on Settings. Then, right away, click on Accounts and select Family & Other People from the left side of the panel.
- Now, from appeared windows, click on Add Someone To This Pc from the right side of the panel. Then, click on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information again.
- After that, click on Add a user without a Microsoft account, provide a Username and Password, and click on Next.
For more information, visit Login As Administrator In Windows 10 By Creating a New Administrator Account.
To sum up, the file explorer dark theme is useful for many windows users for its various uses. But sometimes, it may go out of order for different reasons, and by reading and implementing the methods described here, you can fix it very easily. So, now it is your turn to apply the techniques and restart the dark theme on your device freshly and newly. If there are any queries, questions, or even confusion concerning the windows 10 file explorer dark theme, please let us know. And we will try our level best to overcome your queries and disorder by providing an appropriate solution.
Thank you, and Good Luck!